Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Wild life I have seen on the job.

When I worked nights in a refinery I saw some amazing things. One night at around three am I saw a 3 point stag clip-clopping on an old road out in Richmond, ca. He stood in the road staring at us, I could barely believe how huge he was. I have seen coyotes, a doe and her twin babies, raccoons, skunks, lizards, hawks, enormous ravens, mice and these disgusting wharf rats (2 feet long) those come off the super tankers that tie up and unload oil. They hiss at you and show no fear.
On another job I saw owls, seagulls, pigeons, snakes, a feral cat, salmon, sturgeon, a seal and a dove who made her nest in the middle of our work site, and we had to shut down for a week until her eggs hatched.

4 comments:

Skye said...

One night a deer decided she and I should race each other, I let her win. :)

Mrs. M said...

I like the animals from job #2.
Wharf rats? Freak me out!
Our province has a supposed rat patrol at the borders to keep Alberta rat free. Imagine that!

Diane Dehler said...

Vanishing,
I am frustrated as Blogger has been glitzy for hours and haven't been able to upload any photos. However, I did make a list of ideas for future blogs. I can't imagine posts without visuals though. Your stories are wonderful and I enjoy reading them. Well- some of them. I could live without the rat tales. Getting off and time for zzzzzzzz

Lebbercherrie said...

I can handle any animal, but I'm phobic about rats. I think Orwell is responsible for that with 1984.