Sunday, April 8, 2007

What I miss most about working on the water.


I miss the morning cold making deep plumes of white vapor out of my breath. I miss the sliver of the dawning sun breaking the horizon into blazing light. I miss the thousand yellow snakes dancing on the tips of the waves. I miss the pitching and tossing of the crew boats dropping off people at the different pier tables. I miss the hot summer days where the heat radiates off the barge deck. I miss the " lugg, lugg, lugg", noise the crane makes when it idles. I miss turning around quickly and feeling my tool belt twirl around my hips. I miss trusting my work companions with my safety and life. I miss being huddled up with the guys for lunch talking about blueprints.
I guess I am lonesome for who I was. I'm different and softer now, with a baby. I wouldn't leave my baby for all the "Snap On" tools on earth! :)

6 comments:

Diane Dehler said...

What would you miss about today, tomorrow?

vanishingword said...

I would miss the gentle dewy breath of my baby stirring the hair on my neck, while he rests on my shoulder.

Diane Dehler said...

precious hours

vanishingword said...

How about a haiku about that? I don't know how to write one. And perhaps Princess can rustle up a good entry for the "submit a bad poem" contest?

Moomykin said...

i love your poems. Lovely.

Moomykin said...

I love your poems. Lovely.