Wednesday, April 11, 2007

peek a boo!


I was working on the platform behind me in the picture. When the tide was flooding it covered the deck in water, so you could only work during a low, low tide. I was by myself that day, minding my own business, working diligently (amazing, I know) . The sky was a pale blue, and the water was a murky, sick colored green. I had stopped bolting on concrete block-outs and I was standing at the edge quietly, gazing out on the water. Suddenly a snout poked out of the water. I saw white whiskers, freckles and satin like fur. The nostrils were large, and the head was rapidly getting bigger and closer. A large bleary, red rimmed eye stared at me. A seal had popped up for air just inches away from me! It was massive!
I really don't know who was more frightened, me or the seal! I practically swallowed my hammer climbing the wall! They can get aggressive.

10 comments:

Diane Dehler said...

This is a charming story and I wonder what he had to say about it.

vanishingword said...

Well he DID have an alarmed expression on when he saw how close I was.

Lebbercherrie said...

Seals only get agressive when you cut them off.

At the bar or in traffic, doesn't matter.

Diane Dehler said...

What about in conversation?

Lebbercherrie said...

Seals don't speak, they just look at you until you get the message.

Lebbercherrie said...

Not unlike Steven SEALgall, who thinks he's a Navy SEAL. (they keep their mouts SEALed)

Diane Dehler said...

Selkies are half seal half human and as I understand it can be excellent conversationalists.

vanishingword said...

Has someone stolen your seal skin Princess? Are you attempting to tell us something? Aor aor aor? (seal-enese)

Diane Dehler said...

Well, I wasn't going mention to it but..............

Skye said...

That's really awesome. :)