Friday, April 6, 2007

Unsafe work practises, or how to split your wig.

1. When doing any work on the cord of a power tool, make sure it is unplugged.
2. While changing the blade of any rotating or reciprocating equipment, ensure that it is unplugged.
You sense a theme here don't you?
3. Never wedge the guard of a table saw or a skillsaw. I have seen a table saw kickback a piece of wood and throw it almost a 1/4 mile.
4. Never rigg up and fly a set of welding bottles with the regulators still attached. If the crane swings them into something they turn into real bottle rockets and can puncture a one foot thick concrete wall. Fun to watch, but people can die if they go the wrong direction. I read that they travel at a speed of around 200 miles per hour.
5. Don't signal a crane if you don't know ALL the signals.
6. If you work out on the water, wear your life jacket under your toolbelt; that way if you fall in you can unbuckle your tools and live.
7. Make sure you can swim.
We had an ironworker get carried out because he fell in and couldn't swim.
8. If you are welding and you wear steel toed boots, it can get really hot and burn your foot. Then you get laughed at and thats always bad.
9. Don't cuss at people bigger than you.
10. Never pull towards yourself when something is stuck and won't budge. I stuck a handrail post through my lip that way.
11. Don't wear your harness improperly.
12. Tie off your harness to things higher than you so you don't fall as far. Tie off to something strong enough to support a small pick up truck, thats how much force you have after a 9 foot drop.
13. When drilling through dimensional lumber, put two hands on the drill so you don't snap your wrist when it seizes up.

4 comments:

Skye said...

Oh my I wasn't afraid untill now. You are officially in my prayers from this moment on. :)

vanishingword said...

This was before I had a baby, all I do is post about old stuff right now; no need for concern. The hazards I face now all have to do with gross motor coordination and lack of sleep! :)

Diane Dehler said...

Well, on a positive note, you can remember how scary it was and write about it.

Lebbercherrie said...

The only points I ever forgot to take in account are points 3, 9 and 10. Oh, and I don't work in construction, so that's why I haven't broken all the other rules. But point number nine I have broken regularly, with all the possible consequences. Ouch!