Thursday, April 19, 2007

The union hall

I took the baby with me this morning when I went to the union hall. Its a short drive through the rolling hills of Northern California. I am often amazed that 15 minutes outside of a huge metropolis there is land with out housing developments or electricity. Its just weird. I think there are hundreds of millions of people in the Bay Area, but go away from the center of the cities, and poof, everything disappears into barns and rural life. The recent rain has made the slopes of grass chartreuse, and the earth stands out in moist shadow. I noticed that some of the cows in the fields had new calves.
While at the union hall I ran into a bunch of people I had the pleasure of working alongside many years ago. The hall is the hub of all union activity; a great place to run into old friends. The baby was a huge hit with the men, and they wore him out. He fell asleep after a mere 2 hours of flirting and gurgling. Who would have thought that a group of grizzled construction workers would be so pleased to dandle a baby?! Not me! I obviously need to work on my perception of men and their rolls with children. I must have some sort of hidden old fashioned view about it.

6 comments:

Zimbob said...

It's often the loudest git that has the biggest heart. Since I can reply before he does: Lebbercherrie is the living proof. I have never met anyone louder and at times more obnoxious (sorry mate, just proving my point), than him in my life. Yet I also still have to meet a guy with a bigger heart than his.
The muscle is also the biggest teddy. Ask anyone who knows him.

Zimbob said...

Ain't that sweet? Again proof that us guys can show affection... and modesty.

Occy said...

True, true indeed, I'm a pretty obnoxious guy myself but also very prone to cuddling.

Lebbercherrie said...

...ehm...mpfklkgfdmlk...(you just succeeded in shutting me up, mate).. I am moved. Really. Deeply moved. Now I must go before someone sees my tears. That's perhaps the only prejudice about men that's true, we hate it when someone sees us cry.

...you guys...making me all weak and soft...

Two Mittens said...

It's true. The crustiest old guy can turn to mush around a baby. Babies are magic.

Diane Dehler said...

I am amazed that your toasted computer is still allowing you to post. This is almost like going down with your ship. Very admirable, Vanished. I for one can understand why that gorgeous baby of yours turns everyone to mush.

As far as hearts go, you just can't predict who loves and who doesn't and I have given up guessing.

Walk walks and talk talks. I enjoy the dialectical challenge of a princess talking tough stuff. Thank you for providing me with that opportunity.

Your prose by the way, Vanished, is stellar.