Sunday, May 6, 2007

Lactation Consultant

I am guessing you may not know what this is. A Lactation educator takes lots of classes to keep updated on the latest studies, and specializes in the breastfeeding mother. This my friends, is what I am going back to school for.
A college degree is actually not required, but then the requirements for work experience in order to get licensed are 6500 hours! With a four year degree it's only 2500 hours. So I'm going back for a nursing degree, god willing. I figure with a nursing degree I can work more places.
A far cry from carpentry you are probably thinking, and you are completely correct!

Gone will be the thundering clap of the pile driving hammer.
The piston exploding through rock, will be replaced by gentle correction and patience.

Thousands of tons of concrete splashing into place with a pump will be replaced with a new mother and her child; worlds apart.

3 comments:

Two Mittens said...

The doctor and consultants at my breastfeeding clinic were a big help to me. What a great new career!

Shaz said...

Go girl, good on ya for being brave enough to change path x x

Mrs. M said...

Wuhoo! Good for you! That's fantastic. While in hospital the lacatation consultant was so helpful and my doula was as well once home.