Thursday, May 10, 2007

How to embarass yourself in college.

I went to go take a math placement exam today. It has only been 16 years since I last took Intermediate Algebra, I thought the memories might still be viable. But no. No, they are not. We had two minutes to look over the exam, and change to a harder or easier one. I had the folder of questions, and none of them looked familiar. In truth they looked like some sort of Chinese writing once I started having heart palpitations and my vision squeezed in. I could have changed out my test. My pride prevented me from rising from my chair and declaring in a loud voice that I needed Elementary Algebra. I think most of the problem was that there was a 72 year old woman in the class room and we had a long discussion before the class. She told me how she was reciting a mantra, "I will be able to answer the problems, the answer is in my subconscious (repeat)". Somehow I thought this was applicable to me as well. It wasn't. It wasn't even close. After 35 minutes, I started just guess and not even looking at the equations. If I get into Intermediate Algebra it will be because of an act of god.
Here is a picture of a Fractual Geometric math problem. Mandelbrot set. Bifurcation diagram. Just in case you would like to feel sorry for me.

5 comments:

Lebbercherrie said...

I always have and always will have a problem with math. I understand its value and admire people who use it as a tool to achieve ...something... but my mind just isn't built like that. I admire you for even trying.

Diane Dehler said...

Math does have a way of making us humble. (a lot of us) I would think though, that it would be worse, to have such an experience on a final exam, rather than on a placement test. Some might consider that getting in the right class is a smart thing to do. As far as the 72 year old goes- for all you know she has taken the class 50 times and the answers are buried (operative word here) in in her subconscious.

BoggyWoggy said...

Coincidentally, I was invited to a forum for "Oregon's Outstanding Teachers," to discuss our new standards for graduating from high school. The state superintendent of schools was there. As I left, my heart was flying high! The rigor! The high expectations! The...wait a minute. We forgot about the art lovers, dancers, and whomever else manages to make it in life without Calculus...

Mrs. M said...

Best of luck to you!
I feel your pain. Math was the bain of my existance in college/school days & it really frustrated me that so much Math is needed to enter the nursing program. Really what does Trigonometry have to do with healing people?

Lebbercherrie said...

Well, before setting bones back in place, one can calculate the angle of the dislocation or fracture?