Sunday, May 6, 2007

I just read something that made me laugh!

Are you part of the cult?

You could be, according to Peggy Robin, in the most controversial part of her book Bottlefeeding Without Guilt (new title: When Breastfeeding is Not an Option). If you believe her, there is a militant breastfeeding cult on the loose in our nation!

I took many of the supposed elements of the "breastfeeding cult lifestyle" and put them in the form of questions. Ask yourself if you are caught up in the "breastfeeding cult":

  1. Do you nurse your babies past one year of age?
  2. Do you share your bed with your nursing baby?
  3. Do you believe that mothers and fathers have different roles to play in raising children?
  4. Do you believe that women were provided with breasts in order to feed their babies?
  5. Do you associate with other women who breastfeed their children or even---gasp!---attend La Leche League meetings?
  6. Do you sign your email messages with "Billy's mommy" or cutesy nicknames? This is an obvious sign that you are assuming a childlike, unquestioning, unintellectual role within the cult.
  7. Do you follow the AAP guidelines of breastfeeding a baby exclusively for six months before introducing supplements or solids? (Presumably the AAP is part of the cult.)
  8. Do you believe that there are not only physical differences between men and women, but psychological and emotional differences as well?
  9. Do you believe that motherhood is a noble calling and that mothers and babies belong together? Do you---gasp!---think that babies are better off if their mothers are home with them rather than pursuing careers? ( I do understand this isn't always possible)
  10. Do you make your baby's food from wholesome, nourishing ingredients and avoid processed foods or additives?
  11. Do you believe that birth should be a joyous, natural, and (when possible) non medical event?
  12. Do you use cloth diapers?
  13. Do you prefer cotton clothing?
  14. Do you avoid pacifiers and artificial nipples?

If you answered in the affirmative to any of these, let me warn you that Peggy Robin views these as characteristics of the cult lifestyle!

6 comments:

Lebbercherrie said...

Damned! Call me a cultist, then... Should be nice to put on my resumee. "Man, librarian, cultist, loves long summer evening walks,..."

Two Mittens said...

I'll just be happy if I can make it out in public without wet spots on my shirt...

Diane Dehler said...

Response:

1) do you believe that Nestle's Corporation loves your baby more than you?

2) Do you trust them to make good nourishing milk substitutes in their new factory in China?

3) Are you willing to feed your baby mela-chicken.

vanishingword said...

Well said Princess. I don't think I do trust Nestle Corp. Very funny!

Shaz said...

OMG! I was in a cult & no one told me before now???

Mrs. M said...

Do not look into my eyes or you too will be pulled into the breastfeeding web!