Sunday, August 19, 2007

Blast! Another hurricane/earthquake!


Another good title: Why do I keep getting hit by tornadoes?

There is a shadow of doubt creeping across homeowners in the south. "Should I have bought this house?" They might be saying to themselves. "I never did figure out why the last tenants practically gave the place away. I bet it was the smell from the fried chitlins place next door. " No, my friends, it was something far more troubling than greasy, angry fry cooks. It was tornado alley and the gate was open.
I have been thinking much lately on Florida, and other places that are supposed to be marsh and wetland areas. Places where "tornaders" drop by unexpected (well, not that unexpected lets face it) . What person in their right mind would build a home in such a place? What sort of person does it take to be able to sleep restfully after committing such folly? I know you are out there, lurking in the barracks of my blog. Gnashing your crazed little teeth. Explain it to us.

5 comments:

Lebbercherrie said...

This may seem a daft, or even misinformed question, but here goes, why are most of the houses in the hurricane region in the states built in in wood, whereas in my humble opinion, brick, steel and concrete would provide a better hurricane-resistant shelter?

Just wondering.

vanishingword said...

What a good question. The answer must be that they don't blow away in the correct fashion. Perhaps we need a panel of experts...
Next blog: Guest Speakers
Three little pigs.

Lebbercherrie said...

Oink?

Nancy Reyes said...

Well, having lived in Tornado alley, perhaps I can answer you.
There is danger everywhere, so "Bahala na" as we say in the Philippines: What will be will be.

Your ancestors moved to the area because they wanted land, and they were too poor to buy land back east.
Or you moved to find a job, and stayed because your family is there, houses are cheap, you prefer the open spaces and small schools which are safe to the inner city full of crime. This is especially important if you don't work at a six figure job.

As for Lebbercherrie's wondering why houses are built of wood: it's because people are poor. In tornado alley, my brick home in Oklahoma cost us $35000, and our neighbor's wood house only $24000. Neither had a basement, due to high ground water levels.. We used our neighbor's shelter.

Lebbercherrie said...

Oh, boinky, it took me a while to notice someone replied, so sorry for the delay. But thanks for clearing that up. I hadn't thought about finances being the main reason. It's a whole other world on this side of the Atlantic, where most of the houses are made of brick. (I have to think really hard about wooden houses around my hometown; there are some, but they're very rare)