Thursday, June 7, 2007

Raccoon and her baby kits

I was folding laundry this evening, staring off into my garden patch. There is a large West facing glass door in the family room, and I get to enjoy the garden through it. So there I am, folding a million tiny socks and onesies when I catch a movement up on the hill. I see mama raccoon amble in, squeezing in through a lose wood plank in the fence, followed by three adorable babies. I just about died!
I realize that most people see Raccoons as pests, but I never have. I live out near a wide expanse of open fields, and the territory is full of hawks and buzzards, snakes and mice. Raccoons fit right in.
Mama, has been an associate of ours for several years now, I admit to leaving dog food out for her. I also leave a bowl of water for her to wash it in, she seems to like to wash everything she eats before she eats it. Occasionally I leave her an egg, they eat bird eggs as part of their diet; it has made them a unwelcome guest on many a farm. There are no farms around here, and she has never once smashed over my garbage can or anything uncouth like that. In fact, last summer her and her last batch of babies nicely rid my lawn of root eating grubs; I could see them in the moonlight snacking on the hideous white things. I enjoyed that.

5 comments:

Shaz said...

you're so lucky to live so close to wild life, shame you didn't have your camera at the ready, next time maybe x x x

Lebbercherrie said...

Wildlife in my backyard consist mostly of birds who come to eat the cherries out of the neighbours garden and shit all over my garden furniture. So a raccoon and baby kits sounds definately much better.

Diane Dehler said...

I don't see why they would snack on garbage when they live at a food mart.

BoggyWoggy said...

HOw fun! Last night, while sitting in our "Secret Garden" area with neighbors, we picked up the distinct smell of skunks. See, I'm weird. I like that smell. Anyway, I'd been suspicious for weeks, as I've noticed the smell for about a week. While sipping wine, suddenly all of the dogs jumped up and...there they were! A mama skunks and her 4 little "skunkettes!" They were so cute and didn't seemed bothered by the 5 dogs at all!

Mrs. M said...

Look at you and all your animal encounters! Lovely.
Hope your obsessive compulsive racoon doesn't attempt to move her babies into your abode. Do you have a cat door?